Prev: Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining, - Geo knowledge Next: Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining, - Geo knowledge

Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining

From: Adrian1 <al.ll@t...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:39:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Grossly Off-topic ANZAC Whining

I have no particular bias but why does Canada need a large army?

The only country that can effectively invade it in a realistic timescale

is the US and even if Canada devoted 80% of its GNP for the next decade
to the military, it would still be outmatched by several orders of
magnitude.  It is much more realistic for it to fight a war as a
"supporter" than a "fighter".

Eire has a similar outlook since the only country that could invade it
is the UK and the UK can barely guard its own shores let alone invade
someone else.

It should be remembered that just because a "country" supports something

that another country is doing (for example the war in Iraq), that
doesn't mean the population of said country support it.  While many
governments want to be seen as "good allies", they are normally elected
officials and have to keep an eye on their voters.