Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88 Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:34:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88

Oerjan Ariander wrote on 07/20/2008 10:05:19 AM:

> Doug Evans wrote:
>
> >Maybe we can have hopes for a Stars At War III, er, IV? Nah, as it
seemed
> >there was some reason Weber wasn't visiting the original fluff, in
spite,
> >if I understand right, of him doing much of the expansion of it for
later
> >additions. Pity...
>
> Not just expansions. Weber wrote several editions of StarFire,
including
> GKW and 3rd Edition/Imperial Starfire, and designed the entire
historical

> timeline.
>
> Unfortunately he treated tech advances very much as literary plot
devices,
> which made many of them extremely unbalancing for campaign play... and
when
> some of his playtesters took over the game system and pruned his worst
> technological excesses back to something that would allow the
campaigns
> be fun even to those players who got second to develop The Winning
> Wondertech Gadget, he tired of StarFire altogether. That there were a
bunch
> of misunderstandings regarding who had the rights to what parts of the
> material didn't make it any better either.
>
> >Wait, if Exodus ISN'T SAW III, then it would have to be coupled with
> >another book for III, right?
>
> Exodus takes place after Insurrection, but I'd be quite surprised if
it
> gets turned into a StarFire scenario module.

Sorry, the above confuses the literary and the game-verse. Exodus, the
book, is promoted as part of the Stars At War (book) series, though it
is
not titled as Stars At War III. Now, Stars At War III (the book) might
well
be Exodus WITH some other writing, though not necessarily by W&W, though
I'd appreciate his participation even with all I've said..

If, some how, the previous fluff you mention was that work, all to the
good. Yeah, right, that'll happen...

For what it's worth, I was aware that Weber'd done, at least, one full
edition. He was doing a book tour near here, and while I couldn't make
the
occasion, I sent a copy of his game design for a signature. I gather
from
the report, he was impressed in spite of my absence. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88 Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)