Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:12:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

At 4:09 PM -0400 7/16/08, Tom B wrote:
>Where possible, even irregular forces
>(insurgents, freedom fighters, partisans, or
>resistance fighters... whatever) will use
>standard munitions. I mean, if they can get and
>deploy real mines, no need to make an IED. That
>makes perfect sense. The IED is the domain of
>those who have limited options.

Except, real mines, used wantonly are VERY poor
weapons if not covered by a force to engage the
people hitting the minefield.

Militarily, they're a nuisance. AP mines won't do
much good against mine protected vehicles and AT
mines will likely just moderately damage them.

Want to lay mines in a minefield? Want to expend
that sort of resource, Cover it with a blocking
force. otherwise it's a short term obstacle that
takes VERY little time for an experienced or well
trained military force to completely bypass.

>That said:
>
>If I take a big old-school (say 20 years out of
>date) anti-tank mine and graft on a new
>triggering mechanism (say vibrations sensor vs.
>pressure plate), does that make it an IED, even
>though it really was once a manufactured mine?

Is your new trigger worked up in a garage? How do
you keep from blowing your self up if you're
doing it in a garage? If so, then it is an IED.
If it's done in a factory, its a Mk II or a MOD B
or some other designation of product improved
weaponry/ordnance.

There have been a number of IED makers that have
blown themselves up. Sadly, we were STOPPED from
seeding parts of Iraq with faulty detonators that
would go off when tested or otherwise assembled.
Certain Fools in the government thought that was
unfair.

>And I keep hearing about more effective bombs
>(or components of, or expertise to make same)
>being smuggled into the hot zones from places
>outside (Iran is mentioned a lot). The
>implication of the reporting is that these are
>sophisticated devices that are not the province
>of backyard chemists. Are these considered
>actual mines? Or are they still an IED, just
>using better shaped charges and so forth?

There are. In some cases, they're not really
IEDs. But if it's just a warhead and the triggers
are home made, then it is technically an IED.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS