Prev: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Adrian1 <al.ll@t...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:07:15 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Oerjan Ariander wrote:
> Adrian1 wrote:
>

>>> Eli: *Light* hovercraft are less likely to trigger pressure mines
than
>>> other types of ground vehicles are, but they are just as vulnerable
>>> mines with tilt-rod, magnetic etc fuses. However, if you put armour
on a
>>> hovercraft its ground pressure rises quite rapidly, so by the time
you've
>>> put MBT-level armour on it it'll be about as likely to trigger a
pressure
>>> mine as a light APC is. (And it won't be able to move over water or
other
>>> soft surfaces either - a heavy hovercraft will sink...)
>>>
>> Where doe the Russian Zubr come in?
>>

> As a lightly-armoured ship. A Zubr is 56 meters long, 22 meters wide,
about
> as tall, masses 535 tons when fully loaded, has a crew of 27 men (not
> counting any of the transported troops, of course)... and is only
armoured
> against shell fragments and light projectiles (read: heavy machineguns
and
> smaller).

It would come into its own when someone discovers how to make force
fields then.
>> What would a DS2 Zubr look like?
>>

> It would be a multi-module vehicle big enough to dwarf even a MkVI
OGRE...
> but its strongest armour would be level/1. (In SG2 it would have
level/2
> armour, but if you build it in scale with your other SG2 vehicles it
would
> cover your entire gaming table :-/ )

That would make an interesting game - drop troops land on the surface of

a Zubr with instructions to capture it.

>> While it acts in many ways like a hovercraft, is it ship?
>>

> It is a hovercraft. A very, *very* big hover craft with paper-thin
armour.

Could I PLEASE have one as a land GEV O:-)

> No, you can't. You could have a Caspian Sea Monster as a GEV though,
since
> unlike the Zubr the Caspian Sea Monster actually *is* a GEV :-/

Unfortunately that thing is a lousy design for a combat vehicle.  Very
difficult to armour and the engines are VERY vulnerable.  It would make
a VERY scary naval fast attack craft though.  It could carry the
armament of a small warship and travel at the speed of a fast
helicopter.

The website I'm looking at suggests that its main problem (horizontal
instability) is because its too SMALL.	The US is developing one called
the Pelican that is twice the size, three times the tonnage.(apparently
17 MBTs and several 100 men) with a range of 10,000 miles.

http://davidszondy.com/future/Flight/GEV.htm

I wonder how the atlantic weather effects them.