Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:47:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

In DS3 HEAT rounds are a D10 vs Armor.	I would think that an IED would
be a bit less efficient.  Maybe a D8.  As to the issue of "bigger",
that's simply a matter of assigning a class for the device.  Eg, and
IED/4 (in DS terms) might do a D8 * 4 for it's armor penetration.

ANY armor is sufficient to deflect small arms (DS3 light weapons).

Another argument for the IED would be to simply make it HE.  That can do
some real damage against soft targets, but it's armor impact die is only
a D6.  I guess it kind of depends on whether IEDs are *directed* blasts.

Still, a good thing to consider for games. :)

> John Atkinson made me think (not a new thing) about how one should
> represent things like the Buffalo, Nyala, Gelandenwagen and various
other
> sorts of uparmoured, IED and small arms resistant vehicles in SG2 and
DS2.

> John mentioned armour level 2. That should let you shrug IAVRs and
small
> arms as well as reasonable IEDs (at least insofar as you may get an
> M-kill, but not a crew or passenger kill). Most IEDs would then
constitute
> a non-penetrating hit.
>
> I'm guessing an IED (typical) might be D12 impact vs. armour. Hits are

> probably automatic for command detonated ones (wire connection).
Bigger
> ones could be used. I'll assume the one used in the Palestinian area
> pulverize a Merkava was a lot larger (even through the weaker bottom
> armour).
>
> If the IED does not penetrate, it should have a higher than standard
> chance to score non-penetrating suspension hits (aka M-kills). I'm not
> sure what a fair % might be - John, Oerjan, anyone? I'm also not sure
how
> often you'd get Firer Systems Down or other firecontrol effects from
an
> IED.
>
> Here is one place where Grav vehicles with generators inside the hull
> armour look much better....
>
> TomB -- "Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It
is a
> terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it." Londo, A
Voice
> in the Wilderness, Part I
>
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

mailing
> list Gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University