Prev: [GZG] TO&E Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:54:59 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Adrian1 wrote:

>I never got the point of assault guns.  If a guns main purpose is to
>fire at rapidly moving targets then this is possibly the worst ever
design.

Since the assault guns' main purpose was to destroy infantry strong
points
(which are fairly unlikely to move at all, much less rapidly), any
difficulties in engaging rapidly moving targets did not cause any major
problems for the designs. Against tanks, the assault guns and fixed-gun
tank destroyers generally preferred to fire from ambush positions (where

you can wait for the target to move into your sights) - and even when
they
didn't, the enemy tanks lacked effective gun stabilization and therefore

had to stop to return fire.

When effective gun stabilization was introduced, allowing tanks to fire
accurately on the move, the usefulness of hull-mounted anti-tank guns
pretty much evaporated. (The S-tank struggled on for several decades,
but
I'm very grateful that we never had to send one into actual combat.)
Hull-mounted guns still work well against infantry strong points and
other
fixed targets though - ie., the original assault gun mission.

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [GZG] TO&E Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?