Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:21:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Adrian1 wrote:

> >CFE, on the other hand, requires refined hydrocarbons, and HMT is
> >worse.  FGP runs on water, and not much of that.  If you're worried
> >about logistics, you're best off with FGP.
>
>I'm taking the rules far too literally then.  They say that CFEs can
run
>on Oil, Alcohol or synthetic based fuels.  I know alcohol is rather
easy
>to get hold of and make but don't know if there's a specific type of
>alcohol needed.  I know nothing about synthetics but presumably you
>don't have to find the raw material like you do with oil.

Alcohol is easy to get hold of in small amounts - enough to get a big
party
thoroughly drunk, say. Alcohol in large enough amounts to power your
armoured battlegroup for a few weeks takes as much industrial
infrastructure to produce as using oil-based fuels would, though the raw

materials might be easier to get hold of - provided that you have
bacteria
or yeast cultures capable of fermenting the local vegetation, which
isn't a
given.

Other types of synthetic fuels are similar: the raw materials may be
easier
to get hold of than crude oil is, but you still need a *big* industrial
plant to turn those raw materials into enough fuel to power your army.

The term "hydro-magnetic turbine" is... well, looking at what the words
in
the name actually means it would probably be the power-generating
equipment
in a power dam (which isn't entirely suitable for use in a mobile combat

vehicle <g>), but according to the PSB description it is an advanced
power
cell and has nothing to do with turbines at all. Power cells do not run
on
just water, because water is a quite stable molecule and it is damn hard
get any energy out of it without using fusion reactions. (Which is why
so
many combustion reactions have water vapour as a reaction product, ie.
they
turn other substances *into* water.)

Regards,

Oerjan