Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] GW

Re: [GZG] GW

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:36:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> I started with the Rogue Trader days. Built squat
> forces in 25mm and later, when epic came out with
> the 5 figure square bases built a large force of
> squats for that.

I was a big squat fan. I never had more than 50 figures painted, but I
liked them.

I lost interest in 40K about the time 2nd edition came out. I liked
Rogue Trader, but some of the issues with it grated on me. The "move
then fire" sequence had been out of fashion in wargaming since the
early 70s. I replaced the turn sequence with an integrated system
similar to Squad Leader, and it worked better. I didn't like the lack
of an opportunity fire rule, so I added one. (Opportunity fire was
added to the game about a year later in the form of an "overwatch"
rule introduced in White Dwarf). It was an enjoyable game at that
point, and I had a number of figures for several armies.

I played by myself or with friends, so I was insulated from most of
the GW issues. By the mid 90s I had discovered SG2 and started playing
that (with my 40K miniatures). What forced me out of the "Games
Workshop Hobby" were the prices. That and the fact that I couldn't get
any more squats. So, I sold off my 40K miniatures once I had enough
GZG figures to replace them. (I'm still sad that I sold my Warhammer
fantasy figures, since I had a few dwarves painted and could play them
with my son now.)

I still have a lot of the plastic Space Marine figures, and I still
have the old Space Marine game. I thought 2nd edition Space Marine was
a step in the wrong direction, as it seemed to clutter the game system
from what was a pretty smooth, if simple game. I plan to use the tons
of plastic figures for DS2/DS3 at some point.

Looking back, I was never as immersed in GW as others of my age group,
probably because I didn't live in a major city at the time. I did like
a number of their board games, and I'm happy to see that the more
interesting ones are republished by Fantasy Flight Games.

I liked the look of Warhammer 3rd edition. I still have that book. I
also have a few of the historical games. I plan to use them to
introduce my 9 year old into historical gaming when I have enough time
to paint some figures...

Allan

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] GW