Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] GW

Re: [GZG] GW

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:14:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW

I started with the Rogue Trader days. Built squat
forces in 25mm and later, when epic came out with
the 5 figure square bases built a large force of
squats for that. I have somewhere around 100
figures for 40k with scratch built and kitbashed
vehicles from the GW line of vehicles. (I even
kitbashed a TOC version of the Rhino.)

Naturally as things were dropped it got harder to
go to tournaments and successfully fight a battle
since I had NO "fancy" hero figures and often
time tournaments were stacked towards the newer
codex.

Epic was more interesting for longer with the
large amount of squat specific machines and
figures (not just bikers and infantry). I have at
last count 2 land trains with additional cars,
something like 8 of the super heavy squat
vehicles (leviathans, collossi and cyclops), 2
bike squadrons, 1 gyrocopter squadron, a squadron
of airships, the heavy artillery, mole mortars
and hordes of infantry mounted on rhinos, land
raiders and on foot. I think I could lay down
nearly 15,000 points of figures all told (plus
some Space marine and Imp Guard allies at another
3000 pts or so). Then, GW when and changed the
rules utterly for how 'Epic' Worked. Changed the
rules so frontage required 5 figure line bases
for infantry and didn't update the squat rules
for the new system. And a number of other changes
and no squats as I recall. So, I bailed from the
game.

With the lack of even a basic codex for squats in
40k and Epic, I was utterly through with spending
money. It didn't help that I remembered buying
the box set of 3 Rhinos for $25 when now, the
same exact simple injection moulded model cost
what, $50 for 1?

I more or less got disgusted with the whole hobby
for a time, then a few years later found
Dirtside, and it satisfied my desire for GOOD
solid wargaming.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] GW