Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: Andy Skinner <andyskinner@r...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:03:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

I didn't expect to post anything to this or related threads, because I'm
kinda hoping they'll go away, but ...

I've wondered this, too.  They talk about "collecting", which is what we
do when we see a figure and imagine a way it might go with an army we
have, or look around for some interesting conversion-fodder to make what
we want.  It is rummaging is discount bins, etc.

But any GW store I've been in has exactly the same stuff as any other or
the online store, at the same prices.  What GW calls "collecting", seems
to me to just be "buying".  Maybe it becomes a hobby just because you
can't afford to just buy what you want, so you have to approach it
strategically.

I'm not anti-GW.  I've got various stuff from them, and actually want to
play their LotR game, and use some figures in other games.  (I don't
like their devotion to special rules for figures--I just can't keep up.)
 But the "GW Hobby" and their take on collecting puzzle me.

andy