Prev: [GZG] DS3? Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: Paul J Foster <pj_foster@u...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:46:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

> > I find it really funny how the orginal request "what is the current
> > 40k game like?" has generated a huge storm about people's bad
> > experiences 10+ years ago with the game that bares little
> > relationship to the current version.
> >

> Mine go back almost 20 (gulp!) years.  RT came out in 86 / 87 right?
> Sheesh.  Teh Age is getting to me.
>
> Damo

Well I have to say, I've really enjoyed this thread.  I'd put myself
into
the mild 'Not a GW fan' camp - however I have flirted with them over the

years.	I can remember being very excited when the first GW shop opened
in
Hammersmith in the late 70s.  I still have some of the figures that I
bought at that stage - for D&D at that point.  I also have first edition

Warhammer rules (three A4 booklets in a box) which was initially at that

point an RPG.  I lost interest in GW stuff once White Dwarf became a
marketing magazine - but recently (about two years ago) bought the
latest
Warhammer rules (along with the Orc/Goblins and Empire rule supplements)

just to give it a go after a 20 year break.  I've not got any GW figures
-
I used fantasy figures and ancient figures that I already owned for
other
systems - and scratch built some new stuff (e.g. Goblin Chariot).  I
played about 15 games in total, mostly with another non-GW friend but a
few with a friend who worked in my local GW shop.  I was left feeling
vaguely dissatisfied.  I think that the issue is that GW games are great

as an intro to miniature based games, however once you've tried a range
of
other games, returning to GW just doesn't work.  The shame is that so
many
GW junkies never discover what else the hobby has to offer.  (Of course
-
there's the changing rules, business practices, etc, too - but we've
covered that already.)

Unless stated otherwise above:

741598.
Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6
3AU

Prev: [GZG] DS3? Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations