Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:51:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

>I tend to put the artillery unit on a side table, or behind the
>baseline.  I also put out ammo tenders, AA/ADS, CBS, command, and
>any other assets in the unit.	In the event that there a counter
>battery mission, I want to be able to actually move the minis if
>they're gonna scoot.
>
>Besides, it's a miniatures game.  I want miniatures. :)

Excellent! As producers of miniatures, that's what I like to hear!  ;-)

On a serious note, all the responses to this question do give me some
guidance as to whether it is commercially worth us making actual
minis of heavy artillery, SLAM vehicles and such which are never
likely to appear on the Main Table in a typical game.

Jon (GZG)

>That all said, I play in 6mm and do DS, not SG.

>>  Just a quick question to all, related to this subject:
>>
>>  When you use off-table artillery (in any game system or period), do
you
>>  represent it by actual minis kept behind the baseline, or does it
just
>>  exist on paper? With my commercial hat on, obviously I'd rather that
folks
>>  used models for it, so we can sell the arty pieces and stay in
business...
>>   ;-) This is, I guess, the major reason why FoW (for example) uses
it's odd
>>  logarithmic ground scale compression and insists on all artillery
being on
>>  the table - so folks have to buy and deploy the models for it.
Certainly
>>  for both aesthetics AND our sales, there is a good case for saying
that
>>  off-table assets should be modelled on a little "sub-table" diorama
behind
>>  the player's baseline. Doing this also means that things like
>>  counter-battery and airstrikes against enemy artillery can actually
be
>>  gamed out using the normal rules rather than abstracted, if you so
wish.

>>  Jon (GZG)
>>

>>>  I've seen one of Ryan's CB fire missions before, they're brutal. :)
>>>
>>>  However, much of this will depend on the type of battle you're
having.
>>>  On a sparsely inhabited planet, you're probably not going to have a
huge
>>>  army on the ground; the force represented by the DS army could well
be
>>>  the entire thing. In that situation I might not have the luxury of
>>>  deploying my artillery far behind my lines, because I'd want my
main
>>>  force to be able to cover them and the small force would be easy to
out
>>>  maneuver. So there would be a valid rationale for having the
artillery
>>>  deployed on-table.
>>>

>>>  Robert Mayberry

Table/off