Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:21:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

On Jul 8, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Don M wrote:

> I hear a lot of earth-like parallels here.  What if none of them
> applied?  GPS?  What GPS?  You arrived in hostile territory, and
> you haven't had time to set up GPS satellites nor calibrate
> them to get them accurate to within 100'.  Plus, the enemy
> keeps shooting at them.  What if you can't see from orbit?
> Ion storms, magnetic radiation, dense gas clouds, and enemy
> spoofing could make picking out targets on the ground
> difficult.  It could also make picking out friend from foe
> difficult.  Someone mentioned a compass.  What good is that
> if the planet has no magnetic poles, or magnetic poles that
> keep shifting?  Heck, the planet itself might not even be
> all that sperical.

Even if you have no good GPS system, if you're landing a new, you get
good terrain maps on the way down. You're going to need them. If you
don't have that, then you need to play a double blind system with two
players moving the pieces and telling the two players in the next
room what and where everything is via a pair of intercoms.

As for navigation. There's still inertial and a host of other cruder
methods for tracking things. Even if you use ground navigation
beacons far in your rear for positional data. Think GPS/ ILS and Loran.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations