Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

[GZG] [OT] Boring Business Talk was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:18:04 -0500
Subject: [GZG] [OT] Boring Business Talk was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

I've heard rumors of such, and even think there was some similar things
happening here for the first GWUS stores. In 2003, they'd been bragging
about having up to 54 stores in the US, and '...our sales to independent
retailers and our direct sales in North America were sluggish,'. By last
year, they were up to 82 stores, but talking about cutting losers.I'd
hate
to be in a town that had a thriving store, ran under by the process you
describe, then have the company store bug. Not saying it happened, just
an
ugly thought.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/latest_results/Results2003/full_year/
operatingreview.aspx

http://investor.games-workshop.com/latest_results/Results2007/full_year/
businessreview.aspx

I think my partners would pooh-pooh the notion of a direct threat,
though.
They've been much more concerned with WoTC/Hasbro's move to more online
distribution of RPG materials, the 'virtual' version of a company store
moving into town. Our delight at the marvelous sales of the new edition
of
D&D will turn to feelings of betrayal if local roleplayers get the
latest
material, and even play, online. I've seen some of it already.

They're probably right; ours is a small market, and even HobbyTown
perceives us as hardly worth the effort as they're well diversified.
However we see it happen, though, it would be discouraging to promote a
line only to have the company come into town and become direct
competition.

Outside of our business in 'German' board games, which is threatened by
book and toy stores, I'm seeing little other hope as alternatives. I
even
tried talking to Brigade Models, but couldn't find the support around
here.
Wish we could run GZG lines...

The_Beast

***snippage***