Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:39:25 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

At 3:37 PM +0300 7/8/08, John Atkinson wrote:

>I leave it to other people to discuss the question of whether there
>are alternate techniques available to a force of Hypothetical PSB-Tech
>which can pinpoint one's location without sats.  If you know where the
>artillery piece is and where the observer is to a high degree of
>precision, then with a modern laser rangefinder you can find distance
>and direction from the observer.  Calculating the target's location is
>a matter of a heartbeat for a computer, and then dropping precision
>fire on his head doesn't take long once you have this information.

Presumably, if you're the defender, you can get
some good ground mapping radar maps of your
terrain performed forthwith.

You could even survey the old fashioned way and
build from there, you might have to adjust a few
times however.

If you're the attacker, then you could likely do
the exact same thing where it regards ground
mapping radar on your initial scouting prior to
landing forces in order to get your good maps
updated as well as part of your recce of the
defensive positions. Current technology has 3
meter resolution off of what the shuttle carries
for such purposes. I'd expect the future would
have far greater resolution (up to what's useful
for the purposes) and far quicker transmittal
time of the high resolution data to the end
users. You are of course going to be lacking
street names.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)