Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: davebill <davebill@c...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:26:14 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Beth said:

<snippage>

> 2) As a female and a mother I actually really dislike the images
> presented in the background world for W40K. They are not nice
basically.

As a bloke and a father I agree with you. There is something inherantly
nasty about the imagery in the artwork in the books, magazines and
poster/box art. I'm not sure if it's something particularly British (or
particular to a segment of British culture) but I kind of noticed it's
development in comics like 2000AD in the late '80s - weird but
interesting
became weird and twisted and then twisted and psychotic and hyper
violent.
It's almost a cliche to walk into a GW shop, nowdays, to find a group of

black-tee-shirt wearing young guys hanging around listening to Death
Metal.

Now this could mean we're getting old and reacting to the youngsters who

have, of course, just invented a way to freak out the fogies but there
seems
to be an element of self-loathing in the fluff pieces that the rules are

embedded in that disturbs me a little.

But that is just my reaction to what I see when I browse in a shop. I
know
the games are fun and that those who play them really enjoy them and I
know
listening to Death Metal and wearing black tee-shirts doesn't make one
psychotic (I prefer classic metal, myself).

Anyway, that's my 2c on it. Play what you want, enjoy what you do, don't

believe everything you read.

David

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!