Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] More 15mm Civilian/Colonists/Cops! Next: Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.

[GZG] Space habitats and scale.

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:20:55 +1000
Subject: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.

My young admirals have been talking about including space habitats in
FT games, and being the lads they are, this has led to discussions
about building suitable models. More power to them, but it brings up
the question of scale and suitable materials.

After all, at the 1:2400 GZG ship-mini scale, an Island-3 style
O'Neil Cylinder would be roughly 2.5m in diameter, and some 8m long!
Clearly impractical (though it does make you think...). An Island-1
type Bernal Sphere would be much more reasonable, at around 200mm
diameter. A Stanford Torus would be stretching it at roughly 750mm
diameter.

We've made do with painting up 3l PET grapefruit-juice bottles with
suitable bits and pieces stuck on, but they do look a bit small next
to our ship minis. Has anyone on the list done any modelling of this
sort of thing?

Best regards, Robert Bryett

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] More 15mm Civilian/Colonists/Cops! Next: Re: [GZG] Space habitats and scale.