Prev: [GZG] Comparisons! Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

From: davebill <davebill@c...>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:46:25 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

Eli said:

> One element that almost never seems to be represented in any sort of
> fiction
> is diversity in alien species. Just about everything you see, seems to

> have
> all the aliens of a particular species speaking the same language,
having
> the same culture, the same philosophies, etc. This happens I'm sure,
but
> it's way to common in sci-fi to be realistic.

There is three possible reasons for this; 1) Laziness on the part of the

writer or film/television maker; 2) The aliens encountered all come from
one
subsection of the alien race - eg in both Tuffleyverse and Traveller
2300
various ethnic groups colonise various regions of space. If an outsider
were
to turn up and run into the ESU block or the Chinese Arm, what
extrapolations would they draw for all humanity, based on the sample
they
had encountered? 3) Before a race can tap enough resources to expand
into
space, some form of Globalisation of the home world must happen. So, not

only do smaller/weaker languages and cultures become absorbed, but
"racial"
characteristics become blurred as artificial boundaries such as state
borders become obsolete and people move and mingle more. Perhaps
variations
remain within the resulting blended culture, but to an outsider they are
too
subtle to catch. So, on Earth, we have everyone speaking English,
watching
American style movies, working in a form of state-regulated capitalism,
and
looking vaguely like East Asians or Chinese, or statistically, anyway.

David

Prev: [GZG] Comparisons! Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1