Prev: Re: [GZG] More advanced screens Next: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal

Re: [GZG] More advanced screens

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:19:29 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] More advanced screens

>Been thinking about the rules for advanced screens.

OK, background is that I've been designing experimental
new rules. The plan was to do some playtesting before
sending them out to a wider audience in the hope that
the really bad ideas would get weeded out beforehand
and thus I wouldn't look too foolish.

But now I already look foolish :-) on this so may as
well explain myself fully.

Advanced screens are those that can protect against
beams and other weapons as well, eg Langston Fields
from the Mote in Gods Eye.

Against beams, grasers, fighters they work just like
standard screens.

SMPs use beam rules against advanced screens, torpedo
fighters -1 per die per level.

For the first playtest I just copied the Phalon plasma
bolt vs screen rule, so a level-1 advanced screen
negates damage rolls of 6, level-2 rolls of 5 or 6.
This seems like a bad idea, better is -1/-2 per die
roll.

In the first playtest they were the same 5% of mass
but cost mass x 4. This is, at least in the opinion of
a regular FSE player, too cheap, and I'm inclined to
agree. (We are planning another test with different
ship designs.)

In an earlier version they were 10% of mass/level
and cost x 4. The previous message was a rough back
of the envelope calculation as to why this was too
much, assuming that FB1 ships are 'canonical' for
the GZGverse.

Thanks Oerjan for responding.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] More advanced screens Next: Re: [GZG] Bovine rebuttal