Prev: Re: [GZG] Sheep Stuff Next: Re: [GZG] Sheep Stuff

Re: [GZG] FT base material

From: "Star Ranger" <dean@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:51:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT base material

Allan Goodall wrote:
> What do you use for the bottom part of your FT ship
> bases? I'm talking about the heavy part that touches the table.
>
> I have a combination of old GZG U.S. metal bases, and the plastic
> "flight stand" bases reinforced with washers. Does anyone use anything
> else?
>
> I'm particularly interested in hearing about stuff that was purchased
> from local craft and hobby stores.

Fender washers, lots of fender washers. Usually bought in bulk from a
local
hardware store.
2 7/8" fender washers fit nicely in the domed plastic base flight
stands.
For the GeoHex bases, I always glue on a 1.25" fender washer (the same
size
as the base) for added 'lowering the gravity' weight and on the largest
ships I add another 1.5" fender washer below that for even more weight
and
the larger size helps stability too.

On very small ships, I use slotted hex bases with short posts, most I
got
from AoG for Babylon 5 Wars.  I fill in the cavity in the bottom with
lead
shot from some shotgun shells, fill with glue, file flat as a few stick
up,
and cover with a 1" hex of flexible steel from Litko Aerosystems (like a
flexible magnet but steel so I can store minis on these bases in a
container
lines with
flexible magnets).

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Sheep Stuff Next: Re: [GZG] Sheep Stuff