Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

Re: [GZG] Invading Mars (was FTverse colinies)

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 07:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Invading Mars (was FTverse colinies)

Allan Goodall <agoodall@hyperbear.com> wrote:  On Mon, May 19, 2008 at
8:34 AM, Robert Mayberry
wrote:
> 3) Alan's points about the value of mars as a target are very good,
> though again a quibble: FTL drives are less accurate as you approach a
> star. Once you get close enough, they stop working altogether. FTL as
> I understand it requires that you be at least further out than the
> Kuiper Belt (beyond Neptune). So basically using FTL to bypass picket
> forces isn't going to work.

And this brings us to a major quibble with the Tuffleyverse in
general. If the Kra'Vak have to jump no closer than the Kuiper Belt,
and they can accelerate their ships fast enough that they can reach
Earth from out there in days, rather than years (or decades), then
they have the ability to accelerate a small mass onto Mars (or Earth!)
and pretty much take out anything they want without having to set foot
on the planet. It doesn't even have to be a particularly large mass to
take out enough cities or Martian domes as a warning.

This pops up from time-to-time whenever we talk about FT and vector
missiles and vector fighters. Someone immediately starts talking about
vector rocks (or vector rods) and the whole nature of spacecraft
warfare changes so that what we see in the game makes no sense.

Robert's right about the use of FTL closer than the Kuiper Belt. I'd
personally like to see in-system micro-jumps, possibly through the aid
of navigation buoys, but that's not in the canon as written.

Allan
Yes, the above description points out the serious problem of depicting
space-based combat in a "realistic" fashion, when the most
cost-effective option available to anyone is anything disposable,
accelerated to relativistic velocity (see _The Killing Star_, but only
if you want to be appalled). Only in-system FTL can offer a counter, and
I'm not too sure how well that would work unless FTL communications are
also available. You have to be able to detect those inbound Rods from
God, _and_ your sensors must be able to get the information where it
needs to go, in time to jump a ship or a squadron into position to
intercept.

  Best,
  Ken
  United Systems

Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John