Prev: [GZG] Re The end of the Colonies Next: Re: [GZG] Quick question

Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 01:16:47 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

wrote:

> On May 13, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Ryan Gill wrote:
>
> > Why do I see a Bolo coming into this?
>
> Because the later marks are planetary siege units, as capable of
> destroying the enemy in orbit as on the ground.

An amusing asymmetrical scenario would be an agricltural colony
(genengineered plants produce  very important pharmaceutical) that is
defended by a handful of antiquated Bolo agriculural units ( A MKXIV
line
unit with the indirect fire capabilities removed and the addition of
power
take off equipment, a three point hitch, and an earth moving blade.  The
resultant irresistable force was advertised as a 'tractor', but retained
its
4 megaton per second direct fire weaponry [apologies to the original
text]).  The tricky bit is that the invaders' have the miserable
situation
of not being able to scrounge up their own farming equipment before the
defenders have exported the harvest, so the Bolos must be secured in a
reparable-to-fully-mobile condition.

Other frontier colonies will present the same problem in different
degrees.
A mining concern will present the problem that they will have remotely
controlled equipment with the sort of teeth that armor only determines
the
slowness of the hapless soldier's death, along with plenty of places to
set
an ambush.  A situation made worse by the inability of the attacker to
destroy them and carry out their mission goals.

Frontier colonies tend to fall into one of to categories: 1) heavily
defended because they produce something vital, or are strategically
located,
and 2) places that the main star nation would never miss.  Group 2
colonies
beg the question of why they are being attacked.  Just going there
wastes
resources.  The only plausible reason is that the frontier colony
produces
something vital to the attackers, but not needed by the invaded star
nation.

Prev: [GZG] Re The end of the Colonies Next: Re: [GZG] Quick question