Prev: Re: [GZG] Colonies cooling down :) Next: Re: [GZG] The end of the Colonies :)

Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:04:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Oerjan Ariander
<orjan.ariander1@comhem.se> wrote:
> John Atkinson wrote:
>
>> >Obviously, the locals would have larger stores
>>
>>Not obviously--prestrike intelligence should identify major locations
>>of ammunition storage and other militarily significant stockpiles.
>
> Hm. We're talking about interstellar pre-strike intelligence with com
> delays measured in days or weeks here, not intelligence about a place
on
> the same planet you start from where you already had a bunch of recon
sats
> in place months or years before the strike.

Well, a lot depends.  The more spread-out a population is, the more
dependant it will be on communications links that can be tapped by the
same stealthed stuff folks are planning on using to support their
insurgents.  If it's not so spread out, there's a limit to how much
dispersal you can have.  You're also going to have a lot of your final
operations plans being on an 'on order' basis rather than having the
details hammered out to the Nth degree until you make transit into the
system and get the data dump from your spies and steathed surveillance
craft and special forces teams and whatever else.

> in. Sending an undercover SF team to locate those stockpiles in
advance of
> the invasion fleet... well, there's that "small unsupported SF team on
> hostile planet" scenario again.

Folks have been running spy networks for thousands of years, I doubt
interstellar travel will change that fact.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Colonies cooling down :) Next: Re: [GZG] The end of the Colonies :)