Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 00:47:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

At 8:22 PM -0400 5/13/08, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:
>Many many games have copied the jump point system invented by
>Dan Alderson for Niven & Pournelle's THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE.
>N&P asked Alderson to design a FTL system that would allow
>starship combat to occur, and that is what the Alderson drive does.
>
>You see, the jump points are military choke points.
>http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3v.html#mote
>
>Without jump points, you need sensors with ludicrously huge
>ranges, or battles only occur with the mutual consent of both
>parties.  Not good for a starship combat game.

Jump points aren't necessary, just easy.

Well, you can have that FTL drives give off a
VERY significant pulse that can be detected. How
big and to what sort of information depends on
sensors, but that means you have some
approximation of where your opposition is.

Most naval battles occur not in open ocean, but
in proximity to strategic locations that are
defended or contested. Planets and orbits would
be those sorts of points in a 3d Environment.
Inside the system where you cannot FTL in/out
would mean that you'd have to arrive far enough
outside the system such that you don't have an
accident with your FTL drive and allow enough
time to shepherd (baaah!) your forces into a
semblance of a formation then start your move in
system to contest the system.

Orbits into/out of the system would be useful.
You could have elements that are on fast runs
through that would literally come on board at a
point and then leave the board a turn later.
they're there long enough either for a look or
perhaps to try to get ordnance on a target or
fixed installation.

One would have to have a larger system map and a
method of moving targets round the system map
(hexes?) allowing for a system of sensors to
allow for trying to figure out what formations
are what and where the real threats are. I worked
up some framework rules for this but never really
play tested it out as it'd be time consuming. 2
tables, 1 for the strategic map of the system and
1 for the individual battles that were as simple
as a cutter or system defense ship getting popped
and looked at close by the intruders OR as
complicated as the two main bodies of ships
coming into contact.

You could of course have a series of meeting
engagements where formations slashed at each
other at high speed and finally came to grips.
It'd get interesting as battles like the
Falklands where you had 1 larger engagement that
broke down and spread out into multiple smaller
engagements between different sets of vessels off
of each "table".
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?