Prev: Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :) Next: [GZG] (no subject)

[GZG] Unexploded ordnance (Was: Mine resistant vehicles)

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:09:03 +1000
Subject: [GZG] Unexploded ordnance (Was: Mine resistant vehicles)

Back in the day, I was a keen SCUBA-diver, and it was common for
divers to bring up old weapons and munitions as souveniers from war-
time wrecks. Some, like old S&W revolvers were fairly benign, but
many sunken ships had 20mm shells, hand-grenades and mortar-bombs
scattered about like confetti. Once, on a beach in Cornwall, I saw a
diver whacking with a hammer...

An actual shell. About 100mm calibre, still attached to it's cartridge.

I left the vicinity. Hurriedly.

Best regards, Robert Bryett