Prev: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse? Next: Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications

From: "Robyn Stott" <rodstott@a...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:38:27 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications

Courier ships could also be sped up by using them in relay, ships may
only
be expected to make one or two jumps to a way point where another
courier
ship could be stationed, each operate on a regular jump cycle. News,
mail
etc is then tightbeamed (or wide beamed throughout a system if you want)
the waiting courier ship, which then jumps out to its destination, while
the
first ship spools up their FTL drive for the jump back. Of course this
system would work best in the inner colonies, and not the outer colonies

where reliance on passing tramp freighters, military patrol ships
willing to
carry the mail, and probably a regular courier ship stopping in every
couple
of weeks.

This method is similiar to the old pony express and coaching
wayhouses...
stops to feed, water, and rest the horses were minimised by having fresh

sets prepared along the route. Far quicker to change a set over (in this

case transmit the data to another ship) than to rest the horses (or to
spool/cycle the FTL Jump drive up for the next jump in the sequence)

This method, especially if a system/government is willing to using
several
ships to act as couriers could easily halve the time it takes for news
spread - one role suited for those small naval craft...

Robyn