Prev: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse? Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:35:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

John Atkinson schrieb:

>> > As far as I know, once in human history.
>>
>> Where, in Haiti in the 1790s?
>

> I was actually thinking, more recently, Eritrea.
>
> Haiti does seem to qualify, however.	There are a series of reasons
> WHY the Hatians beat their former masters solidly but foreign support
> is, unusually, not on the list.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "outside help". The Haitian slaves
themselves did win against the French local forces, but in 1791 (2 years

after the French revolution) France was not in a position to send in
significant reinforcements. It is not clear the Haitians would have
prevailed against France (either Royal or Napoleonic) at full
capability.

Against the British intervention from 1794 the Haitians had already been

  able to get somewhat organised. Again, they had more pressing issues
elsewhere.

By the way, wouldn't the French revolution qualify as a succesful
insurgency without outside help ?

As to Eritrea, I am not really sure it qualifies as 'without outside
help' if you define this strictly. There was a substantial Eritrean
diaspora in Europe that supported the rebels politically, with money,
etc. Plus, Ethiopia was "Marxist" at the time, with support from the
Soviets, and I vaguely remember that Western clandestine help may have
reached them through friendly (Arab?) countries.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

PS. I will have to leave this interesting discussion, because I am going

on holidays for a week.

Prev: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse? Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?