Prev: Re: [GZG] Sheep lawnmowers (was: RE: Mineresistantvehicles) [SEC=PERSONAL] Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:41:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

>[snip lots of other stuff]

>We are also presuming that the campaigns will be conducted in full
>media glare rather like a modern campaign, and fought by democracies
>that deeply care about things like world opinion and whether or not
>their populace is offended by pictures of insurgents hung by the neck.
>  Would international media be able to influence a campaign quite as
>heavily? I suspect not, given travel times that prohibit the 'near
>real time' coverage.
>
>John
>--
>"Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain them again
>and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
>--Vita Aureliani

A very interesting point. If we're talking about just the GZG-verse
as written, with no FTL comms other than courier ships, then you'll
have an interesting mix of 21st and 19th Century paradigms. There may
well be international/Interstellar media about filming and reporting
on everything, but then even if they can smuggle the footage offworld
(or transmit it to a courier waiting to jump outsystem) it is still
going to be days/weeks/months before the public back home get to see
it. So there may well be plenty of firm evidence to court-martial
people after the event, but still no way of actually stopping
seriously bad stuff while it is happening. Local military commander
and political leaders will have to have almost complete autonomy on
the spot, there will be no bouncing decisions up the chain of
command. If they screw up, they'll either have to carry the can later
or make sure that the news never gets out....  ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Sheep lawnmowers (was: RE: Mineresistantvehicles) [SEC=PERSONAL] Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies