Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

From: "Brian Burger" <blurdesign@g...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:07:02 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Michael <mwsaber6@msn.com> wrote:
> Sheep! of course the are used as mine detectors!

At the Vimy Ridge Memorial, Parks Canada[1] uses a flock of sheep as
lawnmowers. There´s an average of one UXO per square metre, so it´s
far too hazardous to use any sort of human-operated lawnmower. They
lose about one sheep a year to something 80+ years old finally going
Boom.[2]

Brian
warbard.ca
[1] Parks Canada, because the territory of the Memorial is a gift to
the people of Canada from the people of France, in perpetuity. That
makes these particular UXO our problem, pretty much.
[2] The group of 13-ish English schoolkids I wound up touring Vimy
Ridge with (they were the entirety of the next tour, I was allowed to
tag along) were far more interested in the fate of the sheep than the
history of some old foriegn monument... can´t really blame them,
they´d been doing the Western Front for the past three days and were
rather monumented out...

Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies