Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

[GZG] Still "colinies" :)

From: Enzo de Ianni <enzodeianni@t...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 01:44:13 +0200
Subject: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

John Atkinsons wrote:

>can't imagine trying to use SAS or Delta Force alone for any
>operation, unless you are doing a 19th-century style "Butcher and
>Bolt" punitive operation.  Which has its place in some settings--and a
>few companies of powersuited infantry would probably be able to do so
>on a low-tech world.  After all, how many stands of 'leg' infantry
>would you feel was a fair matchup in DSII vs a short battalion of
>powered armor?
>
>John

You see, John, my original comment was inspired by the reflection
somebody (can't remember who) did about how much space would a land
unit occupy on a spaceship and the dimension of such a transport,
with the final reflection proposed upon the very small total size of
an interstellar invasion force.
While all the reflection of the original post are sound, given my
opinion of a limited usefulness of the small elite units, such a
small size of an invasion force would mean that interstellar
invasions would simply be impossible, even in the SF universe we game.

>The insurgency failed utterly in 1968.  After that, it was PAVN
>fighting the US, and you'd have a hard time to argue them as poorly
>trained militia.  :)

They were, in the open battle sense: they used close order movement
and assault, had bad coordination of movements of different separated
bodies and no ability  in cooperation between different branches
(when they used them, later in the war)
The issue is not how you call them; I could baptize my boyscout
troops "Napoleon's Old Guard" and they still could not close a square
if charged by cavalry.

>And while they weren't as sophisticated as the
>American forces, they were being equipped with artillery and tanks by
>the Chinese and Soviets, which kind of pitches the "ill-equipped" out
>the window.

I think most of the skirmishes lost by the US involved light
infantry; tanks and artillery participated in the later invasion of the
South.
Still, "guns and light tanks" is ill-equipped (to my eyes) when faced
by air support, helicopters, trucks, APC, heavy bomber, electronic
sensor, air recce, satellite... (can go on, but you get the view).

>...Poland or Yugoslavia in WWII.

Well, Poland had no ACTIVE resistance movement until '44 (that's why
they had weapons at that time) and Yugoslavia had no idea it could be
rescued by anybody (in fact, half the resistance movement thought
good to shoot the other half as soon as it appeared they REALLY could
be rescued by somebody, the wrong somebody) :)

>But the most critical piece of information for an insurgency is a
>question of PSB.  You have to determine how (relatively) easy or
>difficult it is to smuggle off-planet weapons, ammunition, advisors,
>etc. onto the planet.	You can't just load a mule train or a truck and
>take off through the back roads to smuggle onto a planet.  This will
>make or break an insurgency.  I tend to believe that orbital reentry
>would be pretty spectacular, and that the invading force SHOULD be
>patrolling the skies pretty extensively.

Now you hit a good idea... the existence of a sanctuary and
logistical staging area would be important, in the long run; but
after how much time? Obviously, the locals would have larger stores
than the guys who have to haul it all from the nearest star (per
previous suggestion on the logistics of invasion)... resupply
drops... and if they come in silently up to a point and drop their
cargo in re-entry orbits from outside the orbiting patrol? Yes,
re-entry is spectacular, probably... and if they send 5 vehicles at a
time? Your force is still made of a handful of companies... do you
run all around? Divided to cover all the probable landing points?
What if it's a ruse and they are waiting for you?

>Arguing theory is masturbation.  Without a specific scenario, you can
>'what if' it to death all day long and never resolve the issue.
>
>John

And there, you are right.
And, please, do not think that any discussion here is meant as
disrespect to your "daytime job" and all the risks connected; we
simply have different opinions.

Best wishes to all

							 Enzo de Ianni

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles