Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:02:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Oerjan Ariander
<orjan.ariander1@comhem.se> wrote:
> John Atkinson wrote:
>
>> > On another line, I do not believe in the "elite myth"... I think
our
>> > experiences show that high quality forces (with both training and
>> > material superiority) rule the battlefield, but are very limited
when
>> > things move to the "asymmetrical" war... want to destroy a planet's
>> > power grid? Having local aerospace superiority is all you need! But
>> > if you want to occupy for any time the main population centers
>> > against a motivated opposition, you'll need far more than SAS or
>> > Delta Force or a few companies of powersuited infantry, or they'll
>> > bleed to death through thousands small attacks from unarmored,
>> > untrained militians, IMO.
>>
>>Cite an instance.
>
> Cite an instance where elite SF types - which is what Enzo was talking
> above above - *by themselves* won a campaign, without any backup from
far
> more numerous "normal" ground forces or local militias.

He being extremely vague in how he phrases, but I didn't take it as
"SF types" alone, but any small, high-tech, highly trained
expeditionary force would automatically be defeated by local militias.
 Which flies in the face of a couple hundred years of historical
evidence.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies