Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG Web Site Next: Re: [GZG] Imperium Ships V3 [was] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's

[GZG] Imperium Ships V3 [was] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 08:42:12 -0500
Subject: [GZG] Imperium Ships V3 [was] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's

Jeff sent me the last files of his attempt at FT Fleet Book ships for
the
Imperium game. I've put them on my web site below.

I have to assume, from his note below, that he took my 'praise and
blame'
entirely too seriously. I know I've simply lifted fleet book designs for
other things, and took it no further. To have bothered with two redrafts
alone is worthy of our thanks. He has mine.

Still, I'll be listening for others trying to adjust further.

http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/v3ships.txt
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/misc1V3.jpg
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/misc2V3.jpg
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/terran1V3.jpg
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/terran2V3.jpg
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/vilani1V3.jpg
http://dje.nebraska.edu/imperium/vilani2V3.jpg

These will probably be up on 'dje' for only a limited time; it's a work
account, and I haven't a proper cleaned up index page anyway. Enjoy for
now.

I did notice the Terran strike cruiser has a couple of ER SM loads. I'm
still thinking about running all ER's, but would like other's
impressions,
along with ideas for MT missles.

Oh, yes, are there Power Projection designs for most if not all the
ships?
I'm not on any PP list, or have I seen many fan-developed ships. To be
fair, I've not tried looking, yet.

The_Beast

Jeff Lyon wrote on 05/06/2008 05:05:59 PM:

> A little back story...
>
> Someone else wrote a rule conversion set for splicing Imperium and
Full
> Thrust/More Thrust... I just tried to bring it up to speed with the
Fleet

> Book 1 rules.
>
> Version 1, we just lifted FB1 ships of about the right cost and
roughly
the
> right design.  We used the Imperium rules to buy ships, pushed them
around
> on the Imperium map and fought battles using FB rules.
>
> Version 2, I tried to "simulate" the ship designs implicit in the
ratios
of
> combat factors on the board game counters.  There is a text doc in
the .ZIP
> file explaining the guidelines I used in designing these ships.  The
> working budget was based on the RU cost in-game.  The conversion rate
was
1
> RU to 25 FB pts for warships and fighter squadrons, 1:50 for monitors,
it

> appears to have been well over 1:100 for transports and the like.
Don't
> recall if motherships' RU costs include the fighters or if they are
just
> shown on the SSD and will have to be purchased separately at 1 RU
each.

> Version 3 was a cleaned up version with better anti-fighter defenses,
> etc.	Added the Imperium RU cost of each design and the original board
game
> combat factors on the SSD.  Tinkered with planetary assaults... the
file
> "misc2b" shows one attempt.  Use at your own risk... not
> playtested.  Basically, I treated the whole planet (a painted 12"
light
> globe) as one big space station; measure range from any point on the
> surface.  Make up any PSB you like to justify it; meson guns, orbital
> defense sats, whipping missiles around by way of gravity well
maneuvers...
> whatever.
>
> I was working on Version 4 ... which was wandering well away from
canon
> FTFB rules... when I quit working on the project.
>
> It works okay if you take it for what it is; a quick and dirty way of
using
> Imperium campaign rules to fight out FTFB tabletop battles using
designs
> that are kinda sorta representative of the ratios of beams, missiles
and
> defenses shown on the board game counters.  It is not and was never
> intended to be a faithful simulation of the board game.  Nor does it
draw

> much, if anything from the broader Traveller universe.  Rather, it was
> primarily a means of using the Imperium board game to generate FT
table
top