Prev: Re: [GZG] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's (Doug Evans) Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 12

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 19:12:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Robert Mayberry wrote:

>Currently, I'm thinking that since we have prices for fighters in both
>FT2.5 and DS2, it might be possible to generate a rough conversion
>from DS2 points to FT2.5 points, which equate directly to Universal
>Credits.

You could convert between DS2 points and FT2.5 points, but FT2.5 points
don't really equate directly to Universal Credits. The Ucr values don't
change when the points values are revised -  the CPV system in
particular
almost triples the points value of an individual fighter...

The reason for this is that the points values in both FT and DS are only

intended to balance *tactical one-off games*. In order to do this they
(attempt to) measure the respective units' *combat power* under the
respective rule sets; and combat power has virtually nothing to do with
the
"real-world" (or "in-background") *cost* of anything (be it labour, raw
materials or whatever). Identical weapons, with identical capabilities,
could cost very different amounts to produce in societies with different

tech bases and production infrastructures - but since their
*capabilities*
(and thus combat powers) are identical, their game-balance *points
values*
would be also identical regardless of who built them. Conversely a
certain
amount of money/resources/labour will buy you weapons or vehicles with a

rather different total combat power if you spend them in the US compared
what you'd get if you spent them in Zimbabwe instead...

(It is also quite easy indeed to build crappy weapons or vehicles whose
game-balance points values would be rather low but which nevertheless
cost
huge amounts of money/time/resources to build, eg. due to stupid design
choices, poor production infrastructures and so on :-/)

To sum it up: Trying to estimate GZGverse labour costs from the GZG
games'
points values is only marginally harder than measuring time in
kilograms.
Sorry.

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's (Doug Evans) Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 12