Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: [GZG] Military System Sales was Re: FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:38:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

e like 9 billion circa 2050, possibly declining slowly thereafter.
Current birth rate trends don't support a larger estimate. Unless people
decide to start having kids again, and those kids survive at present-day
rates, I don't see it. I have little doubt that technology would
increase the carrying capacity of the rock to those levels, but I doubt
there will be a need.

Ken

Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@gmail.com> wrote: Beth,

Great email! I never expected that someone of your caliber was working
this problem... I'm a bit intimidated.

I did have some questions about your model. (I also skimmed the
archives also so I could see the context.)

* First, you project a population of nearly 34 billion for Earth in
2188. The UN population projections I saw when I was taking Human
Geography as an undergrad said that the current thinking is that the
population would level off at about 12 billion in the next couple
decades and remain flat. In much of the EU, they said the population
is actually already declining. What kinds of assumptions are they
making that make their results come out so differently?

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: [GZG] Military System Sales was Re: FTverse colinies