Prev: [GZG] Stargrunt suppression and enemies that won't?? Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 00:46:35 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Ground Zero Games wrote:
> Can I just chime in with a MAJOR caveat here?
> While all this discussion about fleshing-out the GZG-verse is
> fascinating (and please don't stop, I love reading this stuff....), I
> have to state once and for all that I DID NOT work any of this out in
> any kind of detail when the background was written!
That's OK, we'll do it for you, make it all internally consistent, all
you have to do is say "I like" or "Nah".

> So, please feel free to keep on working the little details out, but
> be aware that a fair bit of RetConning will be needed, and PLEASE
> don't ask me why some bits don't fit!!  ;-)

That's OK, Jon.

Personally, I like the following PSB which makes the strategic and
tactical stuff a bit more logical:

First, "jump beacons" that allow the defender to jump in closer to large

masses than the attacker can. This means that you can have up to a week
to get nearby stuff into a defensive position near planets via hyper
while the attacker is still coming in from round the Oort cloud on
thrust.

Secondly, a lot of ESM/ECM that's abstracted in the game. It means that
you only get to match frequencies  and de-jam well enough to get a
firing solution every 15 minutes or so, and means that	some ships get
to fire before others. It also means that when they pass each other,
they may not be in a position to fire at close range, as they can't get
a lock-on.

That also means that you can get by with capacitors and bopamagilvies
that only give a firing rate of maybe once every 10 minutes. You could
get ones that could fire once every few seconds, but as you only get one

chance at a shot every 10-20 minutes or so against military targets,
it's not worth the extra weight and cost. If you did pay the extra
weight and cost, you could still only fire once at a military target per

turn, but maybe 16 times at a civilian. once every 16th of a turn.

Now you may not like it at all, and as it's your Universe, you can say
"no, it doesn't work that way". Unlike what Scottie told Kirk, you CAN
change the Laws of Physics!

Zoe

Prev: [GZG] Stargrunt suppression and enemies that won't?? Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies