Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

[GZG] FTverse colonies

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 04:19:23 -0400
Subject: [GZG] FTverse colonies

Beth,

You and I had some pretty good discussions about this stuff before
(for which I'd like to thank you again). But I have a couple of follow
up questions:

1) In your low population model, I think your NAC population offworld
must not be canonically consistent. Please consider the following:

"2135 The Anglian Confederation moves its Parliament to Albion, which
now has population almost as large as England thanks to massive
immigration and engineered population growth programmes. The reigning
monarch, King Charles V, divides his time between palaces in England,
Vermont, Ottawa and Albion."

Do we susect that England only has 8 million people in it in 2135?
Possible, but unlikely. I think this alone indicates that Albion must
have at least 40-60 million people by itself. I'm not sure if you were
meaning the low and high cases to be canonically consistent or not
though.

2) What are the possibilities of mixed cases? That is to say, having
one nation obey one set of constraints and another user a different
progression? Particularly, it strikes me that the NI just vastly lack
in population when compared to the SK and the IF. Even assuming help
from the NAC or UN, they're likely to be in dire trouble with the
enemies they have due to sheer numbers.

I was wondering if NI could be following a heavy reproduction regime
(essentially case high) while the other nations were following a
normal (case average) regime.

Or perhaps some assumptions about how bad the destruction of Israel
was for them, how many people they got from other countries to go to
their garden world, etc. might not have been quite accurate (or the
assumption is that they didn't absolutely torch the middle eastern
enemies they have, thus vastly reducing their populations). All I'm
suggesting here is the numerical disparity is kind of staggering -
quantity has a quality all its own (famous line).

In order to address this, tweaking downwards the IF pop and/or upwards
the NI pop might be workable. What do you think? Seems to me that if
the holocaust that destroyed Israel was bad, the neighbours would be
getting seriously reduced in retributive return. If, OTOH, it wasn't
that bad, maybe the NI should get some more pop. And certainly they
would have every incentive to pursue further aggressive population
growth.

Thoughts?

TomB

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

 Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies