Prev: Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV Next: Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:54:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

Oerjan Ariander wrote:
>>> Is it standard procedure for jet fighters to attack airborne targets
>> >from the front?
>
> When the target is very small, unarmed, *very* slow-moving compared to
the
> jet fighter, and its heat signature is pretty much the same all
around,
> there's not very much difference between the various approach
angles...

Would an AA-11 track such a small target?  (I'm assuming it's an AA-11,
based on open source materials...)

Also, according to the tape, the missile takes about 4 seconds to travel
from the MiG to the target (assuming it's a MiG-29) -- and open
sources (Wikipedia, among others) indicates that if the launch is from
the outer rail, it's probably an Archer.  Now, according to warfare.ru,
an Archer accelerates at 12g's -- now, we don't know the launching speed
of the aircraft, so I stuck in 60 m/sec, which is really slow for a
jet fighter (about 216 km/h, 120 knots, right at stall speed.)

Punch those numbers in, 4 seconds of flight time, and the shot was
fired from 1.2km out.

If we assume a faster speed (e.g. 240 knots, still really slow), the
range increases to 1.5km.

So here's the question, assuming I haven't blown my basic kinematics
equation -- how big does an aircraft with a wingspan of around 11m look
at
a distance of 1 km to 2 km (about a mile out)?	In particular, should we
be able to even tell it's an aircraft?	 I don't know.

I'm also wondering about the HUD symbology, wondering if there's
anything on there that could indicate range or zoom, but, once again,
I don't have the security clearance.  (8-)

Essentially, somebody brought up the possibility that this might have
been
doctored, and, I guess I'm not certain myself, as it just seems too wild
-
the camera happened to point in exactly the right direction at exactly
the
right moment to catch a missile.  I know you can get lucky, but... well,
do people really believe that this video is legit?

If my math is off, I apologize -- I haven't solved for 's' in a
kinematics
equation in many, many years.  (8-)

JGH

--