Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG news - FULL THRUST LIGHT!

[GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:05:19 -0400
Subject: [GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters

E - makes my eyes bleed
LIGHT - looks right and proper, even if the gh should be pronounced like
cat throwing up in a proper language (and this should be 'licht')

Phoenetic spelling would make things so much easier. Whoever came up
with
silent haitches, apsirate Q's, and the mutation of character sounds
because
of other characters largely needs to be an elision from history. One
character = 1 sound and not 0 to 3 sounds!

I'd say the simple rule of thumb is:
GZG = UK company
Jon = English (almost perfect, just needs to live a distance North where
there are some mountains and good uisge beatha)
GZG games = created in UK
Therefore, UK spelling.

Living in Canada, I've got the peculiar linguistic mangle that is
Canadian
English (yes, it is distinct). We use Light and Night, Zee is not a
letter
(more the sound that a balloon seeping air makes) , and we also decide
take spellings of words with -ze rather than -se at the ending. A real
hodge-podge of Americanese and The King's
Not-Spoken-In-Working-Class-England English. Throw in some token French
and
some distinctly Canadian words and you've got yourself quite a sandwich.

Of course, getting a lot of our cultural products from either America or
UK,
we've gotten used to reading either (although I still have to sop up the
blood after reading LITE...).

:0) TomB
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG news - FULL THRUST LIGHT!