Prev: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side) Next: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:05:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

Ochen privyet! (Forgive the poor transliteration.)

An excellent and useful treatise, Timophey. Of course, the various
traditions have some tendency to walk over each other, especially
"Tradition 5. Renown. Since the middle of XIXth century in Russian navy
there is a tradition to "reincarnate" ships with admirable history." In
the
US, there's a very strong tradition of battleships named after states of
the US, except Kearsarge, and there's the Alaska, which wasn't a
battleship, though maybe a shot at a BC.

Subs are now big ships, and what were once battleships and cruisers,
boomers and attack subs.

We tend to name carriers after famous personages (Ronald Reagan,
*shudder*), but there will probably always be an Enterprise, and I can
always hope to see Saratoga, or Wasp returned to full carrier status.
LHD
just doesn't seem to do it,  however important they are.

As a further complication, the US even had/has ships named after
multiple
people. The Sullivans, the McCain...

The_Beast