Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: emu2020@c...
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:55:55 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

friend developed a force that I think used robots in a very snesible
way.  He played a smaller nation which compensated for lack of available
manpower by using hi-tech force multipliers.  His infantry units were
equipped with robots that performed hi-risk jobs - point, medical
retrieval, EOD, etc.  All of these are done in tandem with humans and
none of them independent of some sort of handler or command.

I thought this was an effective, but not overpowering use for robots in
game.

-Eli

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu>

> Fair point.
>
> What we've been doing in DS3 is to have the remote units *operators*
take morale
> tests when the bots get damaged to see if they pull 'em out. OA says
that ops
> tend to fall in love with their toys. :)
>
> I've only played a little with actual robots, but plan to do some more
with it.
> Yes, they have advantages in no morale, but they should also lack in
tactical
> flexibility (or maybe, depending on your background and desired
limitations).
> They also likely cost more (in battle effectiveness) than living
units. And
> they likely don't really take cover. :)
>
> Things can be offset.
>
> For the record, I *require* strong morale systems for my more serious
games.
> That was one of the biggest failures of a lot of the older games like
Starguard