Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: Damo <damosan@g...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:11:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

On Feb 10, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Samuel Penn wrote:

> On Sunday 10 February 2008 07:51:18 Eric Foley wrote:
>> I see two ways of balancing out bots that are going to ignore
>> morale and
>> suppression.
> [...snip examples of suicidal machines...]
>
> But why should they ignore morale and suppression? If they're
> just drones with no AI then this makes sense, but if they're
> controlled by an AI that is (or almost) as capable as a human,
> then it may well have self preservation as an instinct.
>
> As an SF example, the Tachikomas do take cover and try to avoid
> being shot.

I think J.A. is talking about the "gamey" types out there.  Ample use
of robotics doesn't necessarily mean that you ignore morale and
suppression if you assume these robotics are expensive and take time
to build / maintain.  Perhaps FAR into the future you can mass
produce these things but for a certain amount of time robotics will
be expensive -- and if played during this time no operator is going
to willingly sacrifice a squad of robots JUST because he can.