Prev: [GZG] [unofficial] Stargrunt II "enhanced" download available Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:30:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

I disagree.  Adding "bots" (remote controlled gun drones, terminators,
etc.) simply modifies the specific sides infantry.  They are all still
able to be engaged by "standard" infantry, and do not have to remove the
fun of the game.

Then again, I like DS types of battles with companies to battalions, so
my take on what such might do to SG is somewhat limited. :)

> On Feb 8, 2008 1:15 PM, John Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> And yet, on Future Weapons, they've been showing small tracked bots
>> (remote control - I actually have issue with "robot" being used for
>> remote control, but who cares?) about the size of a german shepard
that
>> can be armed with an M249, grenade launcher, multi-shot ATM launcher,
>> etc.  Pretty neat, and it keeps the humans further from direct harm.
>> So, I can see where remote control man-sized gun platforms could
easily
>> start to, maybe not replace, but enhance infantry.  In fact, that
might
>> be a neat thing for me to try out in DS3.  The basic rules are in
place
>> for remote controlled vehicles. I just need to whip up some suitable
>> small tracked small arms platforms for playtesting.	I even have a
>> force that I don't have infantry selected for that I could try it out
>> on. :)
>
> You can handwave what ever you like--although I suspect that the
economic
> costs of training infantrymen/controllers AND buying remotes for them
AND
> the recovery and maint assets will be prohibitive for a long, long
time.

> Which won't stop people from designing them, putting them on TV, or
> inserting them into wargames.
>
> It's really a question of what do you want to include?
>
> Personal suggestion:	Anything that makes infantry combat essentially
> unrecognizable ('X-ray vision' effects that make terrain and LOS
> irrelevant, masses of combat drones, etc) is going to:
>
> a) be impossible to simulate effectively due to the high complexity
and
> lack of data b) change the game so much that it is no long a fun game
> about infantry combat, but a miniature version of Robot Wars, which
may be
>  fun, but is NOT the strength of Jon Tuffley's ground combat games.
>
> John -- "Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain
them
> again and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians." --Vita
> Aureliani

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University