Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:25:36 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

On Saturday 09 February 2008 11:10:38 Ground Zero Games wrote:
> I am assuming that in order to get a "balanced" game, the forces
> deployed will get smaller as the tech level increases; so to address
> the specific question I asked, do folks WANT the small high-tech
> infantry force to be able to shoot and kill enemy infantry at twice
> or three times the range that lower-tech troops can, or do you just
> want their fire to be more effective but at the same sort of ranges
> throughout?

To diverge slightly yet again, I think there's also the issue of
physical game limitations imposed by the size of the table. If
high tech troops have 2-3 times the range of low tech troops, then
either the former can easily hit everything on the table (within
line of sight), or the latter have very short and ineffective
ranges. This may be okay if you're doing a high tech v low tech
scenario, but most scenarios are (probably) between forces of
about equal tech, so you could break the game just to make things
more interesting in a small number of cases.

Some possible suggestions (not all compatible):
  * Snipers have longer range at higher techs, but standard
    troops are unaffected.
  * Possibility of high tech chameleon armour, which increases
    the range band by one level.
  * High tech sensors, which reduce the range band. Nullified
    by troops with high tech armour.
  * Possibly SAWs have their range affected by technology, but
    standard weapons don't.
  * High tech have better ability to spot enemy units, but not
    to shoot at them.
  * High tech have bonuses for communication checks, or greater
    ranges for unit integrity.

Also, from another practical point of view, how many games are
set in an open desert, as opposed to in hilly woodland? In the
games I've played, we generally have a lot of terrain on the
table, meaning it's often LOS which affects range, not troop
quality or technology. This may actually go someway towards
nullifying my original point however, since then the 'hit anything
on the table' only applies across the few open spaces, making
it less of an issue.

So, to get back to your original question - it would be nice
for tech to affect range, but only if I had a *really* large
table. I do play at 25mm, so dropping any of the ranges for
low tech forces would be a bad idea IMO.

A "reduce range band by one" could work, but increasing the
size of each band wouldn't. IMO.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk