Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: "Binhan Lin" <binhan.lin@g...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:23:05 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

is actually a significant amount of metal in a bi-plane - the entire
engine is pretty much a solid chunk of steel.  In addition, while having
lower radar reflectivity than metal, other materials such a wood and
composites still have a radar signature -(
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-22-stealth.htm
)

"While not invisible, the F-22's radar cross section is comparable to
the
radar cross sections of birds and bees." (see above web reference)

For radar, the F-22 uses an AN/APG-77 Radar, which is estimated to be
able
to detect modern jets at ranges in excess of 30 miles, most of which
have
smaller radar profiles than a WWI aircraft. In addition the APG-77 is
capable of tracking a 1 square meter target out to 110 nautical miles (
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Raptor.html).

IR of a WWI plane is also not insignificant with a 3.75 micometer
wavelength
window (least background from sun, ground and clouds) being used by most
IR
homing missiles, the energy of reflected sunlight is sufficient for an
IR
missile to track - ( http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-IR-Guidance.html )
Modern
Jets have paints that reduce this to 5-15% reflection, but older paints
reflect as much as 60% of solar IR.  In addition, the heat of a piston
engine is well into the detection range of IR detectors.

Airspeeds of a WWI aircraft are well into the range of modern
helicopters,
and the general consensus is that helicopters are easy pickings for
modern
jets.

A more detailed link on the F-22 Raptor is :
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Raptor.html or the official Air Force
fact
sheet: http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=199

Regarding your other comments - As we move to more UAV's, the computer
systems running them will improve, especially once the people get over
the
idea that an autonomous machine is a dangerous thing.  Most people still
have the hang up that they want a human "in the loop" to make final
decisions.  The newest planes can not be flown mechanically and require
computers to be flown, the pilot merely makes an overall choice and the
computer executes it.  The same will occur with combat overall, the
human
merely makes the decision to engage and the computer will do the rest -
piddling details such as maneuver, target acquisition, weapon selection
and
firing will all be left to the computer. Technology will force human
action
to higher and higher levels of decision making - the minutae will be
handled
by computers, so issues such a communication lag, communication loss
etc.
are moot - the computer knows what it needs to do and will do it, it
doesn't
need to be micromanaged.

-Binhan