Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:10:43 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

Bad rolls? Good rolls? In an opposed-die system, how can any roll
that *wins* be called bad? Rolling a two to beat an opponent's one is
no different from rolling a twelve to beat a six, except perhaps in
the player's head.

With opposed rolling, I believe that we have to let go of the idea
that somehow the number we roll represents the performance of our
troops; that rolling a six with a d6 represents super-heroic
performance, while rolling a five with a d12 means our troops are
having an off day. It seems to me that the odds are such that *any*
result in which a d6 beats a d12 represents the green troops "doing
well".

Best regards, Robert Bryett