Prev: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?) Next: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

From: "Binhan Lin" <binhan.lin@g...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:22:07 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

creating our Samurai game, we encountered a similar problem of die-size
and opposed rolls.  In a counter-intuitive move we simply made "1" the
good
number and better units simply used smaller dice - Super Heroes got d4's
-
Peasants got d20's.  SuperHeroes score a "1" 25% of the time and never
score worse than a 4 - peasants score "1" 5% of the time and only get 4
or
better 25% of the time - so it's possible a super hero will fail to a
peasant, but unlikely and the Superhero will consistently outperform
classes
with lesser dice.

The alternative is to make custom dice - better classes use more
consistent
dice (i.e. d4, d6) that are numbered according to their skill (high
skill =
high numbers, low skill = low numbers)

FYI: Chessex does custom dice, albeit at $0.50 per printed side. (so a
custom d20 with 20 custom sides would be $10.00)

--Binhan

On 2/1/08, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

> >On Thu, January 31, 2008 20:31, Oerjan Ariander wrote:
> >>  Robert Bryett replied to Samuel Penn:

> >>  I've been wondering this for years...
> >>
> >>  I suspect that at least part of it is a refusal to accept that
having
> the
> >>  better quality (ie. bigger die) does not absolutely guarantee that
> you'll
> >>  win the opposed die roll. To me, comments like Samuel's (and I've
seen
> >>  quite a few of them over the years) always give an impression of
"My
> D10
> >>  rolled a 1 while his D6 rolled a 5, so my Veteran lost to his
Greenie