Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:31:08 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

Robert Bryett replied to Samuel Penn:

> > Which brings me to my peeve of the randomness of the die mechanic.
> > Good troops are less predictable in their results than poor troops.
>
>I don't understand this comment. The random "mechanic" in SGII is an
>*opposed* roll, so isn't the result the *difference* between the
>rolls, not the rolls themselves? In this context, I don't see how the
>performance of either set of troops involved in an opposed roll can
>be called more predictable than the other. Is the theory simply that
>more sides on the die automatically equals less predictability?

I've been wondering this for years...

I suspect that at least part of it is a refusal to accept that having
the
better quality (ie. bigger die) does not absolutely guarantee that
you'll
win the opposed die roll. To me, comments like Samuel's (and I've seen
quite a few of them over the years) always give an impression of "My D10

rolled a 1 while his D6 rolled a 5, so my Veteran lost to his Greenie -
that's not fair! My troops are better, they're not *supposed* to lose!
:-("
- ie., they seem very much based on feelings, not on analysis of the
actual
odds.

(Now, JA will undoubtedly tell me that good quality troops *don't* lose
poor ones - but even in the situations he's been in, which I'd describe
in
game terms as D10+ quality troops with D8+ armour fighting D4 quality
troops with D4 armour, the high-quality guys still take
casualties  occasionally - IOW, in game terms they still lose the
occasional opposed die roll.)

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)