Prev: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:10:57 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

On Jan 29, 2008 5:22 PM, Damo <damosan@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you were working on an SG3 what would you add / try / tweak?
>
> Some things off the top of my head:
>
> 1) I'd toy with armor meaning something in close combat.
> 2) Vehicles having variable speed.
> 3) A "momentum" mechanic ala- Crossfire e.g. you keep performing
> actions until you fail.  This would assume a certain size to the
> battlefield.

Armor in close combat. . . That's a tricky situation.  I mean, armor
restricts movement and tires you out when you are exerting yourself as
much as you have to in CQB.  So the odds are somewhat in favor of the
folks NOT wearing body armor.  They get to move faster and fight for
longer.

This has not had a major impact in most modern uses of body armor
because the folks wearing the armor tend to be gross mis-matches
against the folks NOT wearing armor.  I mean, SWAT team vs. average
bank robber, the armor doesn't slow the SWAT guys enough to overcome
their other advantages.  Or US GIs vs. Third-World Goatherders.  No
comparison.  Should two equally well-trained units fight with a
disparity in body armor but equality in other areas of equipment, you
might see a difference.

On the other hand, you stay alive when you get hit, presuming your
buddies keep the bad guys from swarming over your prone body and
finishing you off.  If, of course, your body armor actually allows you
to survive direct hits by the weapons being used.  IBA can survive a
lot of 7.62x39--if it comes in on the areas protected by the plates.
It can survive 7.62x54mm, but you are going to be somewhat jacked
up--cracked ribs and whatnot.  Old body armor, the kevlar vests used
by other armies (if they have any body armor at all), won't stop rifle
bullets, but will stop fragmentation.  What is the model used in SGII?
 Is armor primarily to stop light rounds and fragmentation, or does it
actually stop bullets from the primary weapons of the opposition?

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?