Prev: Re: [GZG] Bolton List Next: Re: [GZG] Bolton List

Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@g...>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:44:00 -0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Sat, November 17, 2007 19:18, Doug Evans wrote:
>> I've noticed that, but put it down to different styles of passages
>> rather than compatibility. There are tiles which connect the wide
>> passages to the narrow passages.
>
> Really? I thought I'd tried matching things up right proper...

The advantage of the 'thin' walls is that all tiles are the
same size (since the wall sits inside the tile), so you can
have a wall between two rooms. The advantage of the 'wide'
passages is that you have a full tile available for putting
miniatures on, but they need to have space around them.

So there seemed to be a logical reason to having both types.
Or at least, it was a mistake which turns out to be an advantage.

> Back to the shop!
>
>> I've got over a dozen boxes of the dungeon sets, which is a nice
>> amount for fantasy roleplaying. I've only a few starter boxes of the
>> SF range however, which limits what I can do.
>
> ***retrieves jaw from the floor***
>
> And this before the exchange rate had moved towards your advantage?!?

Um, yeah :-) I did look into ordering direct from the states a
while back, but it worked out almost twice as expensive as
buying the stuff locally (what with shipping and import duty).
Buying from a show, I could just stick it all in the back of
a car, and not have to pay any delivery.

But yes, I have a lot[1]. On the other hand, I've probably spent a
similar amount on stuff from Purbeck[2] for my wargaming.

> I've never bought at more expensive than 50% of retail; you must
REALLY
> like it.

I'm in the situation where I have more money than time, so I'm
quite happy to buy things which require no effort to paint (to
a point).

>> I've had bad experiences in ordering stuff from the States, so don't
>> like to do it, especially for something big and bulky like this.
>>
>> I have contacted DF to see if they will start shipping their goods to
>> stores in the UK, and they keep on saying they have plans to do so,
>> but all the supplies I used to buy from have had no luck in getting
>> any (despite trying).
>
> Tell you what: I'm planning on getting a Beta to see how it'd work
out.
> Had
> a favor or several done by Brits (Thanks, Tony!); maybe we can work a
> transship if you're willing to try small...

Thanks for the offer, but I'll hold off for now. The SF range is
currently only in starter sets, and works out much more expensive
than the dungeon stuff did for the same amount.

[1] http://www.glendale.org.uk/wargames/fiverings/dungeon.html
    That's just the caverns sets, which I don't have much of.

[2] http://www.glendale.org.uk/wargames/

--
Be seeing you,		  http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			  xmpp:sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] Bolton List Next: Re: [GZG] Bolton List