Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5

From: Adrian <adrian@s...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:20:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5

Samuel Penn wrote:

> > Second is that the MLP can fire as a separate support weapon, with
an area
> > of effect rather than at a specific target (fires like an IAVR but
effect
> > like a mortar burst).
>
>Interesting. With the limitation of being in direct line of
>sight.

Just to add another wrinkle, you could say that MLP can be used
*indirect*,
with the same rules as a light mortar but limited to whatever is on the
board (short range) and with rounds impacting immediately (no delay).

If used like this, I would suggest that they have to fire with a
separate
fire action, and probably have limited ammo.

> > The rules don't provide any examples of a single figure firing more
than
> > one weapon with a single fire action,
>
>Well, you could treat them in a similar way to a grenade launcher.
>Yes, the MLP is a separate weapon system, but given they're only
>used on PA suits, which could mix all the targeting together into
>a single HUD, they could work as an FP bonus in the same way that
>grenades do.

Sure, you could do that, but if they only add a FP bonus like a GL, what

would it be?  FP +2 perhaps (they're bigger and fancier than a GL, so a
bit
extra FP).  Maybe only a +1.  If the PA standard weapon is an AR/GL
combo,
then it is probably already at FP3, and under the rules-as-written,
normally weapons don't go higher than that.  You could make an exception

for PA and say the figure gets up to FP4 or FP5 with an MLP, but then
you
find yourself in a position where if you have more than 3 PA figures
with
rifles, their guns don't add to the squad's fire action.  This is good -
in
that you can take a few casualties before the squad's fire is
affected.  This is also good if you equip the other members of the squad

with support weapons (you can have several support weapons and still
have
maximum firepower from the regular troopers).  Problem is when it
becomes
*too* good.  You don't want the PA squads in the game to become
*completely* dominant.	They're already very, very powerful when it
comes
to resolving close assaults.

I like PA to be good - but not so good that putting a squad into the
game
virtually guaratees they'll win it... Not that they necessarily will
with
high firepower, and you can balance them out with other assets on the
opposing side, but I find that keeping them more moderate in power makes

scenarios easier to balance to whatever level you wish.

-Adrian

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry